The inaugural Galena River Trail Run will take place Saturday, May 19, 2018 on the popular Galena River Trail. The Galena River Trail is located adjacent to the old Galena Rail Depot 101 Bouthillier Street in historic and scenic Galena, IL 61036. The Galena Junction Trail segment originates at the Galena Depot Park just below the U.S. Highway 20 Bridge. This forested trail winds south to Galena Junction and the backwaters of the Mississippi River, making for a scenic out-and-back racing course. This year’s race features:
- A 10K (runners only), 5K (runners and walkers), and a kids’ fun run (children 12 and under).
- Chip timing provided by J3Timing (10K and 5K, only).
- On-line registration available until May 12, 2018.
- A dri-fit technical short-sleeved shirt to all10K and 5K runners guaranteed to all runner who are registered by May 12, 2018.
- Finishers’ medals to all 10K and 5K participants who complete the course.
- Awards for Overall Top Male and Female finishers in the 10K and 5K.
- Age-division awards for top three male and female 10K and 5K runners.
- 19 and under
- Finishers’ ribbons for all kids participating in the Fun Run.
- Package Pickup: Thursday, May 17, 2018: 3-6 p.m.; or Friday, May 18, 3-6 p.m. at Illinois Bank and Trust 971 Gear St. Galena, IL 61036.
- In-person registration available at package pickup both Thursday, May 17 and Friday, May 18.
- Package pickup will also be available on race day from 6:30-7:30 a.m.
- Race day registration from 6:30-7:30 a.m. T-shirt not guaranteed. Registration will close promptly at 7:30 a.m.
- All race proceeds will be donated to Galena Kiwanis to provide recreational parks for the children of the community.
Click Here to register!
- After party at 4:00 p.m. at The Grape Escape 242 N. Main Street, Galena, IL.
- Fine dining in historic downtown Galena. See drop down menu for area restaurants.
- Accommodations at area hotels and bed and breakfast establishments. See drop down menu for area accommodations convenient to the race site.
Other family-friendly recreational and historical activities in Galena.
The inaugural Galena River Trail Run will take place Saturday, May 19, 2018 on the Galena River Trail. The new race features:
• A 10K (runners only)
• 5K (runners AND walkers)
• A kid’s fun run (youth 12 and younger)
Details and more specifics will be available in the coming weeks. Mark your calendar now and plan on visiting Galena for this fun event!
GALENA–The Kiwanis Club of Galena recently donated new playground equipment for Grant Park.
On July 6, the old playground was removed to make room for new equipment.
In addition to the Kiwanis donation, construction assistance was donated by Mike & Nick Sproule Construction and Matt Heller and Louie’s Trenching Service.
Installation took place on July 7. The structures were assembled and cement was poured. GameTime workers were hired from Rockford and assisted local volunteers in the process.
In addition to new equipment, the new playground has also been re-mulched.
Among the new additions are a slide, swing-set and jungle-gym.
The only piece that remains from the previous park is the merry-go-round.
The Kiwanis Club of Galena July 4 parade kicks off at 6 p.m. on Galena’s Main Street. It’s easy–AND FREE!–to register your entry in the parade.
Just download the ParadeEntry2017 form, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fax 815-777-3809.
New to Galena and want to serve the children of the world?
Or are you a longtime Galena resident, and you’re looking to do more in the community?
Join Kiwanis! Below is the membership form. Just fill it out and bring it with you to our meetings. The Kiwanis Club of Galena meets every Tuesday at noon at Midwest Medical Center.
Make plans now to come to Galena for the 22nd annual Kiwanis Club of Galena Independence Day events on Monday, July 4, 2016!
Live music starts at the City Hall parking lot on Green Street at 2:30 p.m. The GOATS Cycling Club will be offering food and beverages. The parade kicks off at 6 p.m., and the fireworks light up the night sky at dusk.
Events are also planned throughout the community earlier in the day. For more information, click here.
Do you love America? Then come to Galena for the annual July 4 celebration!
Each year the Kiwanis Club of Galena plans the parade, this year set to start on Galena’s Main Street at 6 p.m. But before the parade, check out the live music and party at the Green Street Plaza. Food and beverages are provided by the G.O.A.T.S. Cycling club.
Fireworks are set to begin downtown at dusk.
For more information, call Teresa Hannaman at 608-732-8628 or email email@example.com.