If you’re going to be in Galena Saturday, Oct. 6 or Friday, Oct. 7, you’re just in time for Country Fair, the major event of the season for visitors of Grant Park.
In when you’re at Country Fair, be sure to drop by the Kiwanis Club of Galena’s Caramel Apple Sundae booth! Kiwanians will be cooking up sundaes, as well as popcorn.
Events are planned all throughout Wednesday, July 4 in Galena, Illinois, as the Kiwanis Club of Galena, Galena Art & Recreation Center and the GOATS Cycling Club bring the 2018 Independence Day events.
Spend your Fourth of July with an action-packed day at Galena’s Recreation Park, where the Galena Art and Recreation Center will host its fourth annual Fourth of July Community Celebration. Only the bravest and the boldest can attempt the Buckhill Run, a challenging 5K that morning that kicks off the celebration. The celebration continues with a kid’s area with bounce houses, games and face painting, along with activities for the entire family, including sand volleyball, slam dunk contest, home run derby, dunk tank, euchre tournament, live music and much more.
The Galena Kiwanis Club kicks off its patriotic celebration with live music at 2 p.m. at the Green Street Plaza in downtown Galena. The community parade begins at 6 p.m., featuring local businesses, floats, bands and marchers. Following the parade, enjoy the live entertainment with the popular local band Ten Gallon Hat. Food and drinks are offered by the GOATS cycling club from 4 to 9:30 p.m.
The fireworks will launch from Grant Park at dusk.
This gallery contains 7 photos.
Thank you to everyone who ran in the Galena River Trail Run! Mark your calendar now for the 2019 run, which will include a half marathon, on Saturday, May 18! Continue reading
The inaugural Galena River Trail Run will take place Saturday, May 19, 2018 on the popular Galena River Trail. The Galena River Trail is located adjacent to the old Galena Rail Depot 101 Bouthillier Street in historic and scenic Galena, IL 61036. The Galena Junction Trail segment originates at the Galena Depot Park just below the U.S. Highway 20 Bridge. This forested trail winds south to Galena Junction and the backwaters of the Mississippi River, making for a scenic out-and-back racing course. This year’s race features:
- A 10K (runners only), 5K (runners and walkers), and a kids’ fun run (children 12 and under).
- Chip timing provided by J3Timing (10K and 5K, only).
- On-line registration available until May 12, 2018.
- Registration Fees:
- 10K-$30, if registered by May 1, 2018
- 5K-$25.00, if registered by May 1, 2018
- 10K-$35.00, if registered between May 2-18.
- 5K-$30.00, if registered between May 2-18.
- Race Day Registration available at Galena Rail Depot. 10K-$40.00 and 5K-$35.00. KIDS’ FUN RUN IS FREE.
- A dri-fit technical short-sleeved shirt to all10K and 5K runners guaranteed to all runner who are registered by May 12, 2018.
- Finishers’ medals to all 10K and 5K participants who complete the course.
- Awards for Overall Top Male and Female finishers in the 10K and 5K.
- Age-division awards for top three male and female 10K and 5K runners.
- 19 and under
- Finishers’ ribbons for all kids participating in the Fun Run.
- Package Pickup: Thursday, May 17, 2018: 3-6 p.m.; or Friday, May 18, 3-6 p.m. at Illinois Bank and Trust 971 Gear St. Galena, IL 61036.
- Race day registration from 6:30-7:30 a.m., at Galena Depot Park. T-shirt not guaranteed. Registration will close promptly at 7:30 a.m.
- In-person registration available at package pickup both Thursday, May 17 and Friday, May 18.
- Package pickup will also be available on race day from 6:30-7:30 a.m.
- Race day registration from 6:30-7:30 a.m. T-shirt not guaranteed. Registration will close promptly at 7:30 a.m.
- All race proceeds will be donated to Galena Kiwanis to provide recreational parks for the children of the community.
Fuel up on carbs Friday night before the Galena River Trail Run at Fried Green Tomatoes. Your registration will get $3 off any pasta entrée on Friday, May 18, 2018. Kindly show a copy of your registration to receive the discount. DON’T FORGET: Fridays is also ½ off all bottles of wine. What could be better: Pasta and Vino!
Click Here to register!
- After party at 4:00 p.m. at The Grape Escape 242 N. Main Street, Galena, IL.
- Fine dining in historic downtown Galena. See drop down menu for area restaurants.
- Accommodations at area hotels and bed and breakfast establishments. See drop down menu for area accommodations convenient to the race site.
Other family-friendly recreational and historical activities in Galena.
The inaugural Galena River Trail Run will take place Saturday, May 19, 2018 on the Galena River Trail. The new race features:
• A 10K (runners only)
• 5K (runners AND walkers)
• A kid’s fun run (youth 12 and younger)
Details and more specifics will be available in the coming weeks. Mark your calendar now and plan on visiting Galena for this fun event!
GALENA–The Kiwanis Club of Galena recently donated new playground equipment for Grant Park.
On July 6, the old playground was removed to make room for new equipment.
In addition to the Kiwanis donation, construction assistance was donated by Mike & Nick Sproule Construction and Matt Heller and Louie’s Trenching Service.
Installation took place on July 7. The structures were assembled and cement was poured. GameTime workers were hired from Rockford and assisted local volunteers in the process.
In addition to new equipment, the new playground has also been re-mulched.
Among the new additions are a slide, swing-set and jungle-gym.
The only piece that remains from the previous park is the merry-go-round.
The Kiwanis Club of Galena July 4 parade kicks off at 6 p.m. on Galena’s Main Street. It’s easy–AND FREE!–to register your entry in the parade.
Just download the ParadeEntry2017 form, and send it to email@example.com. You can also fax 815-777-3809.
New to Galena and want to serve the children of the world?
Or are you a longtime Galena resident, and you’re looking to do more in the community?
Join Kiwanis! Below is the membership form. Just fill it out and bring it with you to our meetings. The Kiwanis Club of Galena meets every Tuesday at noon at Midwest Medical Center.
Make plans now to come to Galena for the 22nd annual Kiwanis Club of Galena Independence Day events on Monday, July 4, 2016!
Live music starts at the City Hall parking lot on Green Street at 2:30 p.m. The GOATS Cycling Club will be offering food and beverages. The parade kicks off at 6 p.m., and the fireworks light up the night sky at dusk.
Events are also planned throughout the community earlier in the day. For more information, click here.
Do you love America? Then come to Galena for the annual July 4 celebration!
Each year the Kiwanis Club of Galena plans the parade, this year set to start on Galena’s Main Street at 6 p.m. But before the parade, check out the live music and party at the Green Street Plaza. Food and beverages are provided by the G.O.A.T.S. Cycling club.
Fireworks are set to begin downtown at dusk.
For more information, call Teresa Hannaman at 608-732-8628 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.