Ty Cocagne and Jay Dickerson man the booth at Country Fair. In the back of the booth are Theresa and Lew Riniker.
The Kiwanis Club of Galena will again offer caramel apple sundaes at the Galena Country Fair, Oct. 12-13.
In the Oct. 2, 2019 Galena Gazette, Kiwanis Club president Jay Dickerson talked about the importance of Country Fair. It benefits the club in many ways, providing funds for the two scholarships Kiwanis gives out every year.
“We’ve also replaced playground equipment in Galena, and we’re in the early stages of replacing the equipment at the Tot Lot. There are many other things we do in the community–a spring half marathon, the July 4 events and the Kiwanis peanut days. But our Country Fair efforts are organized by Theresa and Lew Riniker each year, and I don’t know what we’d do without them.”
Dickerson’s favorite memory from a past Country Fair was the year there was snow and no one seemed interested in ice cream sundaes.
“John Osmanski, Jr., and I came up with the idea of covering the popcorn with hot caramel sauce,” he said. “Now I need to have it every year.”
Register your parade entry now for the Kiwanis Club of Galena’s 25th annual July 4 Parade! The parade starts at 6 p.m., on Main Street at the corner of the DeSoto House.
Live music and food is available at the city hall parking lot beginning at 2:30 p.m. with Not Dead Yet. After the parade, Ten Gallon Hat takes the stage. Fireworks begin at dusk.
The events, food and fun are brought to you by the Kiwanis Club of Galena and the GOATS.
To register for the parade, just click: ParadeEntry2019
The Kiwanis Club of Galena thanks our sponsors and supporters who helped make the River Trail Run on Saturday, May 18 a SUCCESS:
Illinois Bank and Trust
Big Apple Bagels
The Shoe Shack
Eagle Ridge Resort and Spa
First Community Bank of Galena
Medical Associates*Mercy Galena and Elizabeth Clinics
Prairie Ridge of Galena
The Galena Gazette
Tri-State Porta Potty, Inc.
Tammy’s Piggly Wiggly
Mr. Richard Bagster-Collins donation in memory of his wife, Nancy
Mrs. Teresa Townsend donation in memory of her husband, George
Mark you calendar now for the 2020 River Trail Run!
Join us for the 2nd Annual Kiwanis Club of Galena River Trail Run on Saturday, May 18, 2019. The Galena River Trail is a scenic, forested trail that begins at the Galena Depot Park adjacent to the old Galena Trail Station on Bouthillier Street near downtown Galena. Runners and walkers will travel south along the newly extended trail to Pilot Knob Road and along the backwaters of the Mississippi River. The trail is crushed limestone with a few sections of asphalt pavement in previously flood-prone areas. The course is primarily flat.
To register click HERE. Continue reading
Save the Date! Flyer Kiwanis River Run
Above is the flyer with information on the 2019 Kiwanis Club of Galena River Run! Registration begins Monday, Nov. 12 at Kiwanisclubofgalena.org.
If you’re going to be in Galena Saturday, Oct. 6 or Friday, Oct. 7, you’re just in time for Country Fair, the major event of the season for visitors of Grant Park.
In when you’re at Country Fair, be sure to drop by the Kiwanis Club of Galena’s Caramel Apple Sundae booth! Kiwanians will be cooking up sundaes, as well as popcorn.
Events are planned all throughout Wednesday, July 4 in Galena, Illinois, as the Kiwanis Club of Galena, Galena Art & Recreation Center and the GOATS Cycling Club bring the 2018 Independence Day events.
Spend your Fourth of July with an action-packed day at Galena’s Recreation Park, where the Galena Art and Recreation Center will host its fourth annual Fourth of July Community Celebration. Only the bravest and the boldest can attempt the Buckhill Run, a challenging 5K that morning that kicks off the celebration. The celebration continues with a kid’s area with bounce houses, games and face painting, along with activities for the entire family, including sand volleyball, slam dunk contest, home run derby, dunk tank, euchre tournament, live music and much more.
The Galena Kiwanis Club kicks off its patriotic celebration with live music at 2 p.m. at the Green Street Plaza in downtown Galena. The community parade begins at 6 p.m., featuring local businesses, floats, bands and marchers. Following the parade, enjoy the live entertainment with the popular local band Ten Gallon Hat. Food and drinks are offered by the GOATS cycling club from 4 to 9:30 p.m.
The fireworks will launch from Grant Park at dusk.
This gallery contains 7 photos.
Thank you to everyone who ran in the Galena River Trail Run! Mark your calendar now for the 2019 run, which will include a half marathon, on Saturday, May 18! Continue reading
The inaugural Galena River Trail Run will take place Saturday, May 19, 2018 on the popular Galena River Trail. The Galena River Trail is located adjacent to the old Galena Rail Depot 101 Bouthillier Street in historic and scenic Galena, IL 61036. The Galena Junction Trail segment originates at the Galena Depot Park just below the U.S. Highway 20 Bridge. This forested trail winds south to Galena Junction and the backwaters of the Mississippi River, making for a scenic out-and-back racing course. This year’s race features:
- A 10K (runners only), 5K (runners and walkers), and a kids’ fun run (children 12 and under).
- Chip timing provided by J3Timing (10K and 5K, only).
- On-line registration available until May 12, 2018.
- Registration Fees:
- 10K-$30, if registered by May 1, 2018
- 5K-$25.00, if registered by May 1, 2018
- 10K-$35.00, if registered between May 2-18.
- 5K-$30.00, if registered between May 2-18.
- Race Day Registration available at Galena Rail Depot. 10K-$40.00 and 5K-$35.00. KIDS’ FUN RUN IS FREE.
- A dri-fit technical short-sleeved shirt to all10K and 5K runners guaranteed to all runner who are registered by May 12, 2018.
- Finishers’ medals to all 10K and 5K participants who complete the course.
- Awards for Overall Top Male and Female finishers in the 10K and 5K.
- Age-division awards for top three male and female 10K and 5K runners.
- 19 and under
- Finishers’ ribbons for all kids participating in the Fun Run.
- Package Pickup: Thursday, May 17, 2018: 3-6 p.m.; or Friday, May 18, 3-6 p.m. at Illinois Bank and Trust 971 Gear St. Galena, IL 61036.
- Race day registration from 6:30-7:30 a.m., at Galena Depot Park. T-shirt not guaranteed. Registration will close promptly at 7:30 a.m.
- In-person registration available at package pickup both Thursday, May 17 and Friday, May 18.
- Package pickup will also be available on race day from 6:30-7:30 a.m.
- Race day registration from 6:30-7:30 a.m. T-shirt not guaranteed. Registration will close promptly at 7:30 a.m.
- All race proceeds will be donated to Galena Kiwanis to provide recreational parks for the children of the community.
Fuel up on carbs Friday night before the Galena River Trail Run at Fried Green Tomatoes. Your registration will get $3 off any pasta entrée on Friday, May 18, 2018. Kindly show a copy of your registration to receive the discount. DON’T FORGET: Fridays is also ½ off all bottles of wine. What could be better: Pasta and Vino!
Click Here to register!
- After party at 4:00 p.m. at The Grape Escape 242 N. Main Street, Galena, IL.
- Fine dining in historic downtown Galena. See drop down menu for area restaurants.
- Accommodations at area hotels and bed and breakfast establishments. See drop down menu for area accommodations convenient to the race site.
Other family-friendly recreational and historical activities in Galena.